WHEN AN EXPERIENCED ATTORNEY MATTERS
Michael I. Krohn is the PBA’s in-house General Counsel & Executive Director
KROHN LAW FIRM, P.A (April 2009 – Present)
Tampa & Clearwater, Florida.
- Manage, owned and operated law firm as the sole attorney.
GENERAL COUNSEL & EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR (July 2005 – Present)
Sun Coast Police Benevolent Association (PBA), Clearwater, Florida.
- Sole legal advisor to the Union’s Executive Board of Directors and its 1,200 plus law enforcement officer members.
- Chief collective bargaining agent and contract negotiator for multiple police agencies.
- Represent members in legal matters, not limited to, labor law, contract disputes, disciplinary and administrative proceedings.
- Arbitrate and litigate contract violations and disciplinary grievances before the Division of Administrative Hearings (DOAH) and the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission (CJSTC).
- Executive Director is responsible for the Union’s administrative management and oversight.
- Screen governmental candidates (i.e. Governor, Sheriff, Mayor, Judge, County and City Commissioner, and School Board) desiring Union support and law enforcement endorsement.
- Educate and instruct law enforcement officers in state agencies in Florida law, departmental policies and police tactics.
- This position is responsible for the Union’s administrative management and oversight.
ASSOCIATE ATTORNEY (December 2005 – June 2006)
Insurance Defense & Personal Injury Law Firm
- Specializing in civil litigation with emphasis in insurance defense, personal injury protection, medical malpractice, plaintiff and defense personal injury, wrongful death, products liability and contracts.
- Experience in legal research and writing, discovery, depositions, motion practice, Civil Remedy Notifications, and appellate work.
- Federal appellate practice.
ASSISTANT STATE ATTORNEY (April 1999 – December 2005)
Thirteenth Judicial Circuit, Tampa, Florida.
- Assigned to the felony and misdemeanor trial divisions, including misdemeanor traffic and juvenile divisions.
- Prosecuted over 50 jury trials, numerous non-jury trials and violation of probation hearings.
- Managed caseloads of over 400 with as many as 100 trials pending.
- Prosecuted to trial: First Degree Premeditated Murder, DUI Serious Bodily Injury, Armed Robbery, Armed Drug Trafficking cases and various other serious felony crimes.
- Head division Prosecutor in felony and misdemeanor domestic violence and drug trafficking cases.
- Extensive practice in legal research and writing, discovery, depositions and writing motions.
- Grand Jury Indictments.
- Supervise Certified Legal Interns.
- Advanced certifications and training by Florida Prosecuting Attorney’s Association in:
Prosecution of Homicide Cases 201
DUI Vehicular Manslaughter
DUI Trial Advocacy
LAW ENFORCEMENT EXPERIENCE:
POLICE OFFICER (October 1999 – Present)
Indian Shores Police Department, Indian Shores, Florida.
- Volunteer as a sworn law enforcement officer.
- Uniform Patrol Division
DEPUTY SHERIFF (February 1992 – November 1995)
Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office, Tampa, Florida.
- Assignments and Specialty Assignments:
- Uniform Patrol District
- Detective Bureau
- Street Crimes Narcotics Unit
- Auto Theft Task Force
- DUI Task Force
- Alcohol Beverage Task Force
- Advanced certifications and practical training in:
- Search Warrant Entry
- Narcotic Recognition and Identification
- DUI Standardization Field Sobriety
- Traffic Radar Operations
NATIONAL NOTARY ASSOCIATION
State of Florida Certified, July 2008
MICHIGAN STATE UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF LAW
Juris Doctorate, August 1998
- Moot Court
- Criminal Law Society
UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH FLORIDA
Bachelor of Arts in Criminology, May 1992
- Criminal Justice Association Member
HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE ACADEMY
Florida Law Enforcement Certification, May 1992
- Graduated top of class.
U.S. SUPREME COURT, May 2004
U.S. COURT OF APPEALS FOR THE ELEVENTH CIRCUIT, September 2003
U.S. DISTRICT COURT FOR THE MIDDLE DISTRICT OF FLORIDA, July 1999